Sunday, March 19, 2006

Keep the Faith even when the windchill is -16C!

-9C in Calgary, wind chill around –16C. After all it is still March… and the up side, the sky is clearing and the sun is shinning through after a whole week of overcast skies and frosty fog. Calgarians are not use to the sun not shinning. Let it be –40C but if that sun is shinning, hell, who notices the cold? But, two straight days of cloudy skies and the population goes mad.

I don’t like to complain about the weather. It could be worse, but for Canadians, sometimes it is all we have to talk about. It’s a good day to stay indoors and do laundry… LAUNDRY?!!!!! Ok, do laundry while reading, or baking or just relaxing and catching up on e-mails.

Been catching up on my Blog reading. Sue in California, her neighbour Larry went postal killing 3 people and then himself. YIKES! I think I’ll stick to books!

CK and I finished the first week of training and my body is not the worse for it. I was in better shape than I thought I was. Still, I would like to get into a habit of good fitness. The bones are a bit creakier than they use to be and they say constant exercise helps.

Those of you who know me know that I am a true believer in the universe unfolding as it should, this willingness to feel comfortable with that philosophy helped me accept the things that have happened to me these past three years. E.D. and I have often shared the chilling, hair-raising stories of things that have come to us that are more than just a coincidence. The meeting of CK was one of those coincidences that just wasn’t a coincidence. Our lives, although quite different, are very similar and as we spent this week talking, it became clear to us that our meeting was no accident and we both felt that something was going to unfold because of it. This feeling was very strong and I think we are both curious as to how our friendship will develop. She also suggested I read the writings of a friend of hers. His writing is passionate as are the lyrics he writes. He calls himself a hermit but I just think he is a kind soul living his life (in the mountains of Montana), as he feels fit to... he also owns a Wheaten!

Life is strange, just when you have given up on a hope or dream something comes along to acknowledge that those dreams actually can come to fruition. That as long as you believe, with a loving heart, your prayers will be answered or your dreams will become possible. I try hard never to lose faith in believing that. I once read this wonderful story about a woman who married a most miserable man. He was controlling and just downright nasty to this kind woman who loved him and nursed his cancerous body until he died. When he died she was in her 60’s, she packed up, moved to New Mexico (where she had always wanted to live and against her children’s protest), found an apartment and worked in a small bookstore where one day a man in his 70’s walked in and asked for information on a book. He fell smitten with the woman instantly and that very visit to the bookstore bought her a book and asked if she would like to date him. She said yes and they ended up getting married and living happily ever after. Oh I just love stories like that because I believe as long as you hold onto those kinds of happy endings, joy and love will surely come your way.

Any of you who have read Victor Frankl’s book ‘Man’s Search For Meaning’ will know that his dream of seeing his wife and family again and the joy he felt in thinking those thoughts, got him through the horror of several Nazi death camps.

I don’t think you ever lose when you are unafraid to love or when you hold onto your dreams of happpiness and joy and love. People may come and go from your life but you must never give up on your belief that you will find true love. Many have found it as in the lady I wrote about above, and they are testament to the belief that it is possible. An open heart, one without fear, will always attract love and eventually attract your true love, if you have yet to find them. You just have to hold onto your dream, or as Tony Bennett sings..."Keep the Faith Baby!"

No change in temperature since I started writing this, (big sigh)... and I still have to go out there to walk Teddy… But I will go out with a warm and loving heart and hope that I don’t freeze my ass in the process!

No comments: