I know I must sound sappy sometimes. I mean encouraging people to open their hearts and love? What the hell is that about?
Well, it’s a lesson I learned the hard way. When I met Gary I was dragging around enough baggage to fill a 747. Yet he saw this incredible woman who was in need of some serious loving. So, he opened his heart and he just gave. He gave his love and patience despite my resistance to his love. Yep, me! Can you believe it? I was always afraid to give myself completely for fear of being hurt. I remember one time we found a little wild kitten in our sunroom. Somehow it had gotten in and was caught under the wood stove. I tried to rescue it and it just about shredded my hand. Eventually Gary had to get a pair of work gloves to get it out. We tried to keep it but it was too wild and too frightened and I was so perplexed as to why it would want to run away from us when we wanted to love, feed and comfort it. And when I asked Gary this he said to me, “I don’t know, I think you know the answer to that more than I do.” It was from that moment on, his nickname for me became “Kitten”.
When he died I thought about how I loved him. I know that I did not fully let go but I also know I loved him deeply and well. So I vowed, at that point, to always give full out to those around me, to be loving and kind and try never to be fearful of love. It is not easy. Some I have met since then have embraced this, others have been fearful of it and even I have not completely mastered the art of giving completely, without conditions… but I am working on it.
Love is energy, it is bright and warm and empowering. Overcoming our fears to love and be loved, just makes our love stronger. Since Gary’s death I have come to realize the pain of losing someone you love deeply is excruciating, but having never risked loving him, I would have missed out on the most incredible feeling I have ever felt.
To be happy is to love... love unconditionally. Be it your companion, your child, your family, your friends, your dog. There is a ripple effect to loving. Try it, tomorrow just smile at one person and tell them you like their hair, or their smile or their outfit, or for them to have a great day and that will be carried forward for the rest of the day… I know that it works cause I do it all the time and to see the beam on that person’s face because you passed on a bit of your love is absolutely gratifying.
Cause when you get right down to it, how can there be hurt in loving?
Monday, March 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hi Phyl! How are you? It is actually warming up here... spring is in the air to be sure. Thanks for your kind comments... they are always much appreciated and it's good to know I share the same thoughts with someone else! Email me sometime at imwaitingincanada@hotmail.com Hope the weather warms up for you.
Sandy
Post a Comment