Thursday, April 20, 2006

Oh Canada!

I live in one of the most beautiful and affluent countries in the world. To be born in Canada is like winning the lottery. I have always believed this but in my travels it has most certainly been reinforced. And this morning was yet another reminder of this.

I share a ride with my neighbour. This morning I stood outside waiting for her and the cacophony of noise was amazing. I live very close to a man-made lake and this lake is a short stop over for many migrating birds. But usually just before the geese and swan pass through, there seems to be a period where there is a multitude of seagulls, and do they ever make a racket! But between the gulls, the robins and small sparrows, there was reassurance in the air this morning that spring is officially here and that life in the bird world is thriving. Only in Canada? you say? Well no, but standing there this morning reminded me just how fortunate I was to live in this wonderful community and live the lifestyle I do.


The Power of Pain

I read a wise comment this morning regarding the power of pain. It had not occurred to me that there was power in pain but when I started to think about it, in relation to my own pain I realized that this statement is quite true. I have talked frequently in my blog about how, in the aftermath of my husband's death, I had a choice between drowning in the sorrow and opening my eyes to the joy of every moment. Grief can be very debilitating and to rise above it takes a lot of energy. It had not occurred to me until I read this comment, that I took the power that was my pain and made it into the energy I needed to get up every morning and move forward. Of course I did not consciously know that this was what I was doing at the time. Others would ask me where I found the strength and I could never give them an answer because I just didn't know. Now, it all makes sense to me.

Take the energy of your pain and focus it onto something positive. That is an amazing thought. It is also a great way to heal AND a marvellous way to channel any kind of sadness. I know this from my own experience. Sorrow, pain and or grief can swallow one up, but no matter how you fuel it, the choice to direct such energies into love and loving acts, has a remarkable impact on the universe. I have especially learned this in the past three years.


"You are not what happens to you, you are what you choose to do with what happened to you. You are what you decide."
~ O. Winfrey ~

I think these are powerful words.

No comments: