Thursday, June 01, 2006

Serendipity... I really believe in it!

Wow, it is June 1st all ready. Time flies doesn’t it?

With the warm summer evenings I’m not interested in sitting inside behind a computer, especially since I spend all day inside behind a computer, so if I miss a day I’m sure my fan base (all of about 3 people…*laughs*) will understand.

I was talking to a friend today. He said that he had picked up a movie called “Derailed”. Seems it was about a twisted murder plot, revenge etc. He made a comment that there was enough violence and killing and hatred in the world, that he really wasn’t interested in watching something like that when he wanted to relax. He said that one of his very favourite movies was called “Serendipity” with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. It’s a movie about a couple who reunite years after the night they first met, fell in love and had to separate, convinced that one day they would end up together again.

I just love these kinds of movies because it brings hope and joy to people’s hearts. It’s romantic and funny and sweet and just a very warm and beautiful movie. Nick and I watched it when it first came out on DVD and we bought it immediately. Whenever I feel like being uplifted I get my bowl of popcorn and head to the family room and plop myself in a comfie chair and put in one of my "comfort" movies. There are a few movies I like that are similar, “Sleepless in Seattle”, “When Harry Met Sally”, “Something’s Gotta Give”, and my all time favourite, “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.” Funny, light and happy ending movies! I’m such a sucker for romance.

Oh I finally got my lawnmower back. I found two of the neighbours cats, three wagons and an abandon bike while mowing… Nah! Just kidding. But the lawn sure does look nice though. This means that I must spend some time working in the rest of the yard this weekend. My friend E.D. finds great solace working in her yard. It is her meditation and I know that when I get to it, sit myself down, and just work through the garden beds, I become very focused. I lose myself. Time goes by so quickly and before I know it, the day has passed. Something about getting back to the earth isn’t there?

My friend S.S. wrote me asking about a fitness club. She said she had seen me the other day and I looked fantastic. I told her the company I work for has a fitness facility right in our building we can use for a small fee and that I worked out there. I also let her know that I am not a regular attendee by any means. She said that she was scaring herself because when she looked in the mirror all she saw was her mother’s body. (I’m assuming she meant her mother as she looks in her older years.) I assured her that I thought every woman when they begin to hit 50+ start to see their mother’s body in the reflection of the mirror they stand before.

I also told her that what I really thought the key to looking great was having a respect for the body you own, eating well and never underestimating the value of some kind of physical activity in your life. “Mostly, I just try to accept that this is what I have for a body and do the best being comfortable with that.” I told her. When you stop obsessing over how you look, it is amazing how much stress is lifted from your soul and how much younger you begin to look! (I say while cringing at the thought of how much my body is beginning to look like my mother’s!!! …just kidding!)

Well, not a long note tonight but a note nevertheless (I just love that word… nevertheless!). Am off to walk the dog and get ready for tomorrow. Have a great evening all!

UPDATE:
C.K. had a fantastic time in NEW YORK.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Serendipity is a good one - of course, I'll watch anything with John Cusack!
I also like Amelie (with Audrey Tautou) again with the romance, with a lovely helping of wimsy :)

Roxanne said...

Have NOT seen Serendipity, so thank you for suggesting it. Here are some of my favorites. . .

While You Were Sleeping
Two Weeks Notice
Pretty Woman
The Princess Diaries
You've Got Mail
Field of Dreams
The Princess Bride
Second Hand Lions

Along with all of the ones that you already mentioned. . .

I'm not really a fan of either baseball OR prostitution. . .but love Julia Roberts and Kevin Costner. :) Anything with Tom Hanks and/or Meg Ryan is just good. . .ditto for Sandra Bullock (but not the mystery stuff).

I look forward to seeing Serendipity soon. . .I'm also interested in the Keanu Reeves/Sandra Bullock flic--The Lake House? Anyone seen it yet?

I found that after I had kids there are certain types of films I just cannot bear to see anymore. . .but the list I have here is good for what ails you.

Roxanne said...

By the way, both children just headed to bed with their respective Canadian bears. :)