
A bit of mish-mosh today.
Was way too tired to write last night. What with making dinner, than M.R. wanted to do a mega walk, then talk about… well you know! Then Nick and I did our little wind-down of the day thing (just laying on the bed talking about the day and things that are concerning to him), and before I know it, it’s time for sleep.
My lawn looks like it belongs to a family the landlord is about to evict because they have not maintained his home. Only I’m the landlord and the tenant and am totally embarrassed that my lawn hasn’t been cut in weeks… I still have at least a week more until I can reclaim my (hopefully) fixed lawnmower from Sears. I may have to beg my neighbour to use theirs if I promise to thoroughly clean it after I use it… Fairy ring… remember?
My co-worker came back from a week holiday down south, and by south I mean southern British Columbia… Cranston, Cranbrook, then up to Fairmont Hot Springs. He said it rained most of their vacation and he brought the rain back with him. Imagine taking credit for that?!
He was looking for vacation property to buy so that he could retire in the Rockies but says it was way too expensive. Western Canada has seen a boom in house pricing the last little while. I had lunch with a client today and she heard that house prices are rising $500 a week in Calgary and area. Can you believe that? Absurd to say the least. My parents bought a condo that is on the third floor of a building that overlooks the mountains. A realtor called them and told them he could double their money (and then some), if they were willing to sell. My father (72 years old) got all excited and called me. “Dad, if you sell where are you going to go that you won’t be paying just as much or more?” I explained. They are not selling.
After Gary died, everybody, and I mean everybody, was encouraging me to sell my home and move into a condo in the city. I wasn’t really sure why they said this. I have this cozy little bungalow, open spaces, vaulted ceiling, lots of big windows, incredible neighbours who are also very close friends, it is 20 min. from Calgary’s city centre but still far enough out to be in the country… as in no, absolutely no city noise. There is a lake and a canal and walking paths and wild animals roam the farmer’s fields that surround this little community. Nick saw a fox yesterday. Why ever would I sell?
Often people believe that they have good advice. They mean well I know, but often their advice just isn’t based on your information. Today a good friend of mine, who also lost her husband, wondered if she had made the right decision by buying a new home. She has not sold the house she shared with her husband yet and expressed the idea of just selling the new home and staying in the old house. My advice to her was “Do what your heart feels most comfortable with.”
The process of grief is one that is different for everybody, what works for me may not work for my friend or others in a similar situation. I stayed in my home because it brought me comfort, a floating object to hold onto in a sea of confusion for both my son and me. In my case, I listened to what my heart needed. I suggested to my friend that she do the same.
Above all and throughout this whole “grief process” that is the MOST valuable piece of information I have learned…
Was way too tired to write last night. What with making dinner, than M.R. wanted to do a mega walk, then talk about… well you know! Then Nick and I did our little wind-down of the day thing (just laying on the bed talking about the day and things that are concerning to him), and before I know it, it’s time for sleep.
My lawn looks like it belongs to a family the landlord is about to evict because they have not maintained his home. Only I’m the landlord and the tenant and am totally embarrassed that my lawn hasn’t been cut in weeks… I still have at least a week more until I can reclaim my (hopefully) fixed lawnmower from Sears. I may have to beg my neighbour to use theirs if I promise to thoroughly clean it after I use it… Fairy ring… remember?
My co-worker came back from a week holiday down south, and by south I mean southern British Columbia… Cranston, Cranbrook, then up to Fairmont Hot Springs. He said it rained most of their vacation and he brought the rain back with him. Imagine taking credit for that?!
He was looking for vacation property to buy so that he could retire in the Rockies but says it was way too expensive. Western Canada has seen a boom in house pricing the last little while. I had lunch with a client today and she heard that house prices are rising $500 a week in Calgary and area. Can you believe that? Absurd to say the least. My parents bought a condo that is on the third floor of a building that overlooks the mountains. A realtor called them and told them he could double their money (and then some), if they were willing to sell. My father (72 years old) got all excited and called me. “Dad, if you sell where are you going to go that you won’t be paying just as much or more?” I explained. They are not selling.
After Gary died, everybody, and I mean everybody, was encouraging me to sell my home and move into a condo in the city. I wasn’t really sure why they said this. I have this cozy little bungalow, open spaces, vaulted ceiling, lots of big windows, incredible neighbours who are also very close friends, it is 20 min. from Calgary’s city centre but still far enough out to be in the country… as in no, absolutely no city noise. There is a lake and a canal and walking paths and wild animals roam the farmer’s fields that surround this little community. Nick saw a fox yesterday. Why ever would I sell?
Often people believe that they have good advice. They mean well I know, but often their advice just isn’t based on your information. Today a good friend of mine, who also lost her husband, wondered if she had made the right decision by buying a new home. She has not sold the house she shared with her husband yet and expressed the idea of just selling the new home and staying in the old house. My advice to her was “Do what your heart feels most comfortable with.”
The process of grief is one that is different for everybody, what works for me may not work for my friend or others in a similar situation. I stayed in my home because it brought me comfort, a floating object to hold onto in a sea of confusion for both my son and me. In my case, I listened to what my heart needed. I suggested to my friend that she do the same.
Above all and throughout this whole “grief process” that is the MOST valuable piece of information I have learned…
LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR HEART NEEDS
I have learned that this statement is not solely for dealing with grief, but for all decisions that have to do with the happiness of your life.
LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR HEART NEEDS
You’d be surprised at how comfortable you are in any decision that is made based on this one statement.
Well, I think I shall put my jungle hat on, my safari shirt and boots and wade my way through my front yard to the grocery store to pick up supplies…"Lions and Tigers and Bears… Oh My!"


2 comments:
Just think of your yard as preparation for the ACTUAL safari you will be on soon. . .still no package. Will check again tomorrow. Had to laugh at your "down south" comment. . .we are REALLY "down south" compared to where your friend was looking for real estate. . .
R--
Package arrived. . .did you hear the squealing all the way in western Canada?????
Victoria will be writing later.
R--
Post a Comment