
Some days I just feel a little overwhelmed by it all.
Let me explain. When you have a partner there seems to be a purpose for doing things. I’m not sure you all recognize this when you are in a relationship, but there is reason to clean house, make dinner, do yard maintenance, the laundry, and even though you complain, you don’t mind picking up after whoever dropped their clothes, left their plate, or wrapping on the counter, opened a drawer and forgot to close it… well I could go on forever. There is always someone to talk to about it, or complain, there is always someone who supports you or affirms you when you want to go on and on about something.
When you don’t have someone, there seems to be less purpose in your life. I mean it’s just not fun doing something for yourself… all the time.
I am not a fix-it person, nor do I want to go out and take a class on how to fix my toilet, or tap or lawnmower. I am so mechanically challenged, it’s pathetic! Gary loved to tinker and he was always fixing or looking for things to fix. He use to putter in the garage all the time and to be honest with you, it kind of turned me on when he did. I know call me weird but I guess it had something to do with seeing him content and at peace doing something he liked. Nick is like me; he has absolutely no interest in fixing anything.
The main tap to the outside water line is leaking in the basement. I am going to have to ask my neighbour Al who loves to tinker, to come over and fix it for me. Al has already replaced my sumpump, fixed the handle on my lawnmower, changed the oil and recharded the battery in the Corvette several times, along with a multitude of various other things I am less than handy at doing. For example, he just gave me a lesson on how to fertilize my lawn tonight. (I tried doing it and let me tell you, there is no excitement to the process and I don’t think very much of the stuff got on the lawn.) I’m sure his wife Pat is going to think we are having an affair soon as I am always asking him to help me with this, that, or the other thing. Usually I tell Pat first, then she tells Al and then Al comes over. (Luckily, Pat and I have been friends for many years and she knows I am no threat to her marriage whatsoever.)
Al has also filled me in on the fact that soon I will need to replace the roof and backyard fence. Add that to the list of new carpet in living room and bed rooms, hardware on kitchen cupboards, hinges and such need to be fixed (I think I can persuade my brother into helping me there). My point is…
I NEED A HANDIMAN!
I NEED A MAN period!!! (ok maybe that's a bit drastic), but it sure would be nice if I could find someone outside of my neighbours and brother to help me fix things around my house… and to complain to… to share my day with… say good night to…
So my dearest of friends out there, when you are upset because your better half is not living up to your expectations, stop and think about all the things you would miss if they were not there any more… I bet when you do that, you’ll consider giving them a big hug and kiss instead.
***********
Victoria and Thad, thank you for the thank you note. It was more than my pleasure to share a bit of Canada with you both! XXX OOO


1 comment:
Victoria and Thad were thrilled to get the note. . .and in color too. It's ashame that the dude whose picture you posted isn't available for your want add. :)
More later. . .
R--
Post a Comment