Sunday, February 05, 2006

Twig Birdfeeder and Poem

Yesterday my sister and I took a course on how to build a “Twig Birdfeeder” (also known as a "Bent Willow Birdfeeder" only we didn't use bent willow twigs, we used Saskatoon twigs). I got to the workshop an hour early; my sister could not find the room and was ½ hour late. In that half hour the instructor told us the instructions and left us on our own to figure it out. There were no written instructions so my sister was dependant on my interpretations of what I heard. And those of you who know me, know that my memory has not been the greatest lately, so take it from there.

We were pretty much left alone while the instructor helped all the women at the front of the class. Meanwhile Cathy and I struggled with the tools we brought (having no practice at most of them and some even being the wrong tools). It was rather hilarious to say the least as we watched others (who had taken the course before) whip through their birdhouses in no time. At one point the instructor made a snide comment to the effect that at the rate Cathy and I were going he was going to be there until Midnight.

My sister who was not amused was ready to lynch the guy. The course was $65, then we had to pay an extra $45 for twigs and branches (the guy just happened to be clearing out the bush on his farm). We both agreed it was a bit of a rip off and had we gone to the internet we might have found the instructions to do it on our own.

Through it all though, Cath and I were laughing and making jokes and both agreed to gather all the twigs we needed to finish the feeder then packed our car up with our unfinished project. We both left with an idea of what to do and how to finish our project. We also agreed that we could be more creative in the privacy of our own garage with more time and other objects to embellish our project with.

I did learn how to use a drill and also learned how to screw things into pieces of wood (this with no help at all). I also cut my thumb twice and to add insult to injury, hit my thumb with the hammer... hard... OUCH!

My sister and I have not always seen eye to eye. Recently we have been doing more things together and yesterday we had a hoot! We both agreed to take another course that did not involve hammer, nails, screws and or drills. A cooking course perhaps? I told Cath it was her choice next time.

What I did finish of my birdfeeder turned out pretty nice according to my son Nick. I will finish the project in a couple of weeks and post a photo. Until then, lets just say that creatively for February 4th, not only did I semi-create a bird feeder, but I also created a path for both my sister and I to walk along on sisterly terms.

February 5th 2006

Today my friend Gloria took my co-worker Arlene and I out to ‘Stage West’ to watch a musical production of 60’s and 70’s tunes. It was a buffet breakfast and we all agreed that tomorrow we would start exercising and be more cognizant of our diets. Right!

Before I left this morning I wrote a poem. My creation for the day.

REST

I have died a thousand deaths,
Yet not been re-born once.
I have met a million loves,
But never loved myself.
I often gave more than I had,
And still was asked for more.
Now I sit alone in this room,
Too tired to open the next door.

In time I will live a thousand lives
And never think of death.
And I will love a million loves
But love myself the best.
And I will visit many worlds,
I will knock on many doors.
But here is where I’d like to rest,
For just one moment more.

Until tomorrow… cherish this day.

1 comment:

Wenchy said...

The poem is so beautiful.