I am sure to some it comes easy, but I believe, like anything, it takes time and dedication, heart and soul to seed a thought and make it into a piece of art.
The other day when I was perusing some blogs of very talented people, I began to cry. I cried because I know that my talent is there and that I have neglected it for a very long time. So I decided that I would create something, one thing a day for the month of February.
My first creation was the thought to do this. I am going to record each day. Now, I know that I am primitive in my drawings and creative ideas but you have to start some place and unless I take the time out to open up to that creativity it will be locked within always.
So, yesterday, February 2nd I just took coloured pens and began to draw, mostly words came to the page as it is my favourite medium, but I opened up.
Today, February 3rd, the group I work with all went to lunch. To Chinatown to celebrate the Chinese New Year, year of the Dog… hence my paper dog.
I followed a link to a webpage called ‘Illustration Friday’…
The page invited anyone to join in.
“Never even picked up a colored pencil? Why not now? Just have time for a doodle? That's okay, we'd love to see it. You don't have to be an illustrator or an artist to participate. Just pick up a pencil, for the love of pete.”
And so I thought, does it matter how good I am as long as I express from the soul?
Sometimes I am pretty hard on myself. I know deep within, it’s not about getting it perfect, or equalling the talent of another, its about doing what you love to do, doing what feels good from the heart. I like to create… no, I LOVE to create. And although writing is my most comfortable medium, stepping out from what feels comfortable gives one a sense of freedom.
Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.
~ Erich Fromm ~


1 comment:
This is wonderful!! And, in my opinion, doodles are so underrated of course.
Post a Comment