Saturday, May 06, 2006

AHHHHHHHH... THE WEEKEND

The day is sunny and would be much warmer if the darn wind would just stop blowing!

Being single after being in love with my husband for 25 years is just so weird. I miss so much of what was us. We didn’t have a perfect marriage but I bet it was as close to perfect as it gets. Last weekend I was clearing more “stuff” from the storage room downstairs and I happened upon some cards in a box. Gary and I use to send each other cards and notes all the time. In fact shortly after he died I was cleaning out the mudroom and I found a note that he had placed there that I hadn’t found till that day. Boy did I cry when I read those simple words on a post-it-note… “I love you San”. Anyway, the cards I found were before Nick was born and they were so beautiful. We would write how we missed each other when the other wasn’t around and how much we loved each other. I let Nick read them. He smiled, something he does more these days.

Last night I was invited by LL and her husband to “Stars On Ice”. Now I love skating but I am not into the dance skating like LL and her husband are. The seats we had were right on the ice and it was absolutely amazing to watch these athletes make their way through a two hour show with incredible passion for what they do. Each one of them were in their element and for me, it was like watching a fireworks on Canada day (or for those friends down south… the 4th of July). Each program was just as spectacular or better than the one before it and everybody in the crowd were in awe. I sat there thinking, wouldn’t it be phenomenal if all of us had that kind of passion in everything that we did. The world would be an amazing place to be sure.

LL had her mom Diz with her. I absolutely love LL’s mom, she is in her 80’s now and I think she is an amazing woman. I remember when I first met her I think we were strawberry picking, Diz was in her 70’s then and as spry and beautiful as it gets, active volunteer at the local seniors centre, family oriented and always on the go. I told LL, “When I grow up, I want to be just like your Mom!” And if I am even half of what Diz is when I am in my 80’s then I will be a remarkable woman. I think you deserve an honour in the “Every Day Woman Hall of Fame” Diz!

Well, it’s laundry day today. I have been putting it off for two weeks… YIKES! Good thing I have enough clothes to do that! I really am one of the many lucky people who are living such a privileged life to be sure. As I write it is late afternoon, I have already done a bulk grocery shop and finished a couple loads of washing. Could have done more but hey, I don’t think any woman died thinking that she didn’t sweep the floor today and if she did… there was a woman who worried about the wrong things.

Will work with some weights tonight, watch a movie and that will be the extent of this life of mine. Lay back and easy.

Have a great rest of the day all, wherever you are!

No comments: