Monday, May 22, 2006

No rain, fairy ring and a broken lawnmower


Well, I did a little bit of this and a little bit of that this long weekend and managed to have fun in-between.

University is over for the summer and that means the girls next-door Meagan (19) and Candice (21) are open to our summer Friday (or Saturday depending on their schedule) movie night. We start with a roller blade and or walk than popcorn and a romantic/comedy movie. We talk our faces off and usually fall to sleep at some point during the movie cause we are all so tired from work, then everybody calls it a night... but it is our connection and we have been doing it for so many years now it has become a tradition for us. Even now that the girls have a life of their own, they still insist we have our movie night and that is just fine with me because I so enjoy their company. They are my surrogate daughters to be sure, but more than that, they and their mom are just very good friends.

Saturday morning I visited my friend Sue for coffee and then it was back home to work in the yard and do laundry. Nick and I went to pick up Jessica and Nate my niece and nephew and I took them all out to celebrate Jessica and Nathanial’s birthday. They turned 12 and 16. I love those two children almost as much as I love Nick and I have so much fun with them when I am around them. My sister and her husband have done an incredible job at being a loving example to the two of them and it shows so very much.

Sunday, more laundry and yard work and Nick helped without even complaining; in fact he was down right nice about it. Hmmmmmm could it be that he is beginning to appreciate the value of his mother and understands how much a helping hand really makes a difference in her life? I'll let you know on that one as it progresses!

Then later that night, I was invited out to dinner and theatre. Yes, I had a date! Can you believe it? Petrified as I was, I had a very lovely evening and it was so very nice to be in the company of someone of the male persuasion. Now don’t you all get excited for me. It was just dinner and a show and that is just fine for me right now…. smiles.

Today was a bit of the same without the dinner and theatre. My wonderful neighbour Al helped fix the latch on my fence. I will go tomorrow to buy him a gift certificate at Canadian Tire, lots of gadgets and tools there for guys and he has been so very helpful to me since Gary died. My neighbours are such wonderful people.

Picked up Jamie (the daughter of my neighbours to the south of me). I have known the Bells for about 30 years now and our children grew up together. Her sister Jody got a scholarship to play basketball for the Texas Longhorns and has since graduated and now she is working in Austin. Jamie was visiting unfortunately, her plane got stuck in Chicago for about an hour or so and she was pretty bushed by the time I picked her up. Traveling does that to you sometimes.

We have been waiting for rain all weekend but it never came and our lawns are looking very brown. There is a water restriction and that makes things even more parched. It’s a bit scary because summer hasn’t even happened yet… YIKES! Just as well as my broken lawnmower is in the fix-up shop at Sears, 10 days the guy said last week! 10 days but my lawn already looks like a jungle! My neighbours have volunteered their mowers but I have fairy ring and I don’t want to contaminate their lawns. You know I’ve yet to find a fairy anywhere on my lawn. I guess I’m just not looking hard enough.

Oh, and I went shopping for Victoria and her brother today… lots of CANADIAN things…to send in the mail.

Well I’m off to eat. Light tonight… turkey burger and salad… Life doesn’t get any better than this... who am I kidding... it does!

No comments: