Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mountain Magic


It was a beautiful morning in the Kananaskis and I got some pretty good shots. I also saw quite a few white tailed deer but no elk or sheep as were sighted yesterday by my fellow co-workers.

The function last evening was a good opportunity to visit with friends I had not seen in a long time (spouses of people I work with). Unfortunately, the country band was WAY too loud, so loud in fact; most people went outside and stood around a big bonfire to get away from the noise. A good many people headed back to the lodge earlier than they wanted to because of it. The lure of fee drinks kept the others behind to the wee hours.

Mother’s day this weekend and I have already sent my mom a bouquet of flowers and will have breakfast over at my parents place tomorrow. I should be cooking breakfast for her but she loves to fuss around and so that’s fine with me. Then I really must get to my garden for I have neglected it so far this year. My neighbour PR is a stay at home mom and her garden looks terrific already this year. She spends hours in her yard and it is her pride and joy and also her escape, a meditation of sorts. I have seen her spend hours and hours just eliminating, by hand, the crabgrass that she spots in her lawn. These past few days she has hand sprayed the dandelions that have popped up all over her lawn because of the warm sun (and a next door neighbour who doesn't take her weed killing quite so seriously).

It snowed a bit yesterday when I was in the mountains, there was frost on the cars this morning and along the roadside waiting for the sun to melt it away. Although spring is officially here in April, in Calgary we are always cautious to plant anything until the second last weekend in May. So, tomorrow I will dig up my garden, clean out the well at the base of the two apple trees I have in my back yard and turn over the soil around the lilac bushes (which, I might add, have yet to bloom). That should take the better part of the day and tomorrow is sunny and 22C so a perfect day to do the work.

It's a debate as to what's for dinner. Lately I have been eating far too well. Lettuce anyone!

Happy Mother’s Day to all you wonderful mothers out there, may you have a joyful and fun filled day.

Today's pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandygirl/sets/72057594133761402/

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful break--I'm envious of the view of the mountains. . .no mountains in Houston--unless you count the MOUNTAIN of laundry I need to wash and fold. I have been laid low by a cold--so although I'm back online, my head is stuffy and therefore I'm not in much of a writing mood--but I have loved reading all of your posts that I'd missed over the past week.

R--