
"I am the one who has lived through the ages and carries women’s wisdoms under her hat. I am the crone and I guide you toward old age with grace and dignity."
(from www.kaleidosoul.com)
You know what’s great about getting older? Well, there are many things actually. It is true that as you get older, what other’s think of you becomes less and less important. Once you free your time up from this worry, you have all this space open to realize all the wisdoms that you have learned through your many years. All our experiences, all we have read or learned, now become important information to pass onto other women or young girls or anyone who will listen that may in the future or already do struggle with the same issues we have passed through and survived from.
Another great thing is as you get older, of course your children grow older and more independent and what this does is gives us time to sit back and appreciate them for the wonderful young adults they have become. We get an opportunity to step outside our parenting box and look at these marvelous beings who have taken the tools of what they have been taught and using them to make their way through life. They are grounded in knowing that their roots have a strong foundation based in love and caring. I look at my son and his friends, our neighbour’s kids, that I have watched grow up and some are still struggling to find their place in life, others are well on their way in a career and lifestyle. All of them are remarkable beings with opinions of their own and courage to make life decisions even if they are still fearful of what lay ahead of them.
The same goes with our parents. I find I have a better appreciation for my parents now that I have had a family of my own. And once I was able to stand back and take a breath from the responsibilities of family, it allowed me to see clearly the sacrifices and effort my parents put into making sure there was always a place to come home to. It allowed me to realize that each generation does the best that they can with the information that they have at the time. My mom once said to me, “If I was able to access all the information that you kids can today, I certainly would have done things differently.” But what they couldn’t do for us, we strive to do for our children and on and on the generations go. Which also allows room for forgiveness if we thought our parents did us wrong in some way. Our parents not only taught us how to be parents ourselves, they taught us what parenting behaviour didn’t work so that we could avoid repeating it with our own children.
I have always embraced getting older because I believed it would be a rewarding experience and as I get on year by year I am finding this to be so. Although, my physical body may argue that fact but that’s a whole other topic!
Another great thing is as you get older, of course your children grow older and more independent and what this does is gives us time to sit back and appreciate them for the wonderful young adults they have become. We get an opportunity to step outside our parenting box and look at these marvelous beings who have taken the tools of what they have been taught and using them to make their way through life. They are grounded in knowing that their roots have a strong foundation based in love and caring. I look at my son and his friends, our neighbour’s kids, that I have watched grow up and some are still struggling to find their place in life, others are well on their way in a career and lifestyle. All of them are remarkable beings with opinions of their own and courage to make life decisions even if they are still fearful of what lay ahead of them.
The same goes with our parents. I find I have a better appreciation for my parents now that I have had a family of my own. And once I was able to stand back and take a breath from the responsibilities of family, it allowed me to see clearly the sacrifices and effort my parents put into making sure there was always a place to come home to. It allowed me to realize that each generation does the best that they can with the information that they have at the time. My mom once said to me, “If I was able to access all the information that you kids can today, I certainly would have done things differently.” But what they couldn’t do for us, we strive to do for our children and on and on the generations go. Which also allows room for forgiveness if we thought our parents did us wrong in some way. Our parents not only taught us how to be parents ourselves, they taught us what parenting behaviour didn’t work so that we could avoid repeating it with our own children.
I have always embraced getting older because I believed it would be a rewarding experience and as I get on year by year I am finding this to be so. Although, my physical body may argue that fact but that’s a whole other topic!
After Note: I want to thank all the wonderful people who have made kind comments about my blog, Lois,Diz, Ev, Roxanne, Phyl being just a few. It means a great deal to me.


1 comment:
Although you DO NOT look like that crone. . .I thank you for the wisdoms all the same.
R--
Post a Comment