Sunday, May 14, 2006

Garden of Diversion

I have been in a bit of a funk this past month. For the most part I always try to keep upbeat and positive but lately there seems to be this river of sadness that is flowing through me. Partly hormones I’m sure and I guess, sometimes things just catch up to you and well I try to be understanding of that.

I once read somewhere, I think it was an article on lost relationships or grieving, something along that line... Anyway the author talked about a woman who was really down on herself and became very depressed. It had been suggested she find a passion, something to work on and something to watch develop or grow. So, she started working in her garden, little by little. And as each day passed and her garden began to bloom, so did the woman. She worked all her sorrows out in her garden and in return she not only had a beautiful garden by summer’s end, she found that she two had lost her sorrows and found an inner beauty.

I thought that this was a good idea. I have a very large yard and I have been neglecting it these past few years. I have only done the basic maintenance and my garden and yard have both suffered. So today I started the arduous job of fixing up my garden. I didn’t realize just how much I had neglected it until I stared digging the weeds and wild grass that has embedded their roots deep into the soil in the small patch by the back fence. I only got a bit done today, but I will work on it as much as I can, a little each evening... See where it goes. I also bought two rose bushes, natives to this area. I have always had a passion for roses.

The best thing about today, were the swallows who are trying very hard to fit into the bird house that E.D. made me. Unfortunately they do not fit but they are sure protective of the house and as I was digging below, the one was just singing away not concerned in the least that I was below it... and that was just so beautiful.

It’s a start for sure.





Roxanne, my newfound friend. I sure hope you get better soon. There is nothing worse than a terrible cold. Kisses and hugs… in other words lots of love to you… my cure for all kinds of ailments… and it works too!

I’m off to get ready for tomorrow. By the way… It was an absolutely beautiful, sunny, warm day today and as I am writing I am listening to a Robin sing an evening solo.

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

So glad the swallows did not mind you clearing up their yard space for them. :) My cold is marginally better. . .it has taken up residence in my chest, but there is no fever, so my hopes are good for skipping the bronchitis that tends to plague me. I have a very restful Mother's Day.

R--

Anonymous said...

I too find so much peace and fulfillment when I'm working in the garden. There is something magical about touching the earth with your bare hands, gently pulling out unwanted weeds before the roots take hold and 'talking' to the baby peas, lettuces, and herbs as they begin to grow. Watering, adding a little worm wee, checking to make sure no destructive buggies are lurking... Yes, tending a garden does lift the spirit :)