Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Let the ladybug come to you


“You must accept waiting times, when there must be a wait. Everything is for a reason.”
~ Mattie Stepanek~


To everything, there is a time and a purpose. This seems to be a theme in my life these days. That and patience. And you know, I think that’s ok.

When I look back on my life there was always something going on. Some kind of drama or happening that kept me “running” as I like to call it. I seldom took the time to listen to my breath let alone smell the roses. These past three to four years have given me several opportunities to learn how to feel comfortable in the presence of peace. Italy alone was an exquisite example of this where some days I would get in the car and just drive, eventually ending up in some small little village sitting in the local church just being quiet.

There are more days than I can think of lately where I just sit on the couch and listen to the noise outside, it’s pretty cool actually. I often think that I should be out exercising, or downstairs sorting out the laundry but I think to myself that all that can wait. It’s like I have earned the right to slow down and enjoy life more.

I use to question everything. Drove some people absolutely crazy. Although, I think Gary enjoyed that I was always asking questions because he always liked to hypothesize an answer and that often made for some very interesting conversations. I’m at a time in my life now where the answers don’t matter as much as living the experience does.

In Dan Millman’s book “The Peaceful Warrior”, the mentor in the story talks about how there are no ordinary moments. And really, when you think on it there aren’t. Folding clothes from the dryer are moments that are just as valuable and precious as winning an award for being the Best Mom, or fastest milk drinker or the greatest handyman. All moments are precious because they are all we have at the time. So I believe each moment should be treated with great reverence and in joy and love.

I read Stephanie’s entry of yesterday about being alone. I loved it. (http://tifty.wordpress.com/2006/07/25/134/). It inspired me to write the following:

The sounds of silence
Ever comforting, and most times elusive
I wrap my body in this lavish garment
And for a moment feel the nature of all that is peaceful
Only to realize that I am completely alone
And in that moment I know not whether to rejoice or feel sad
Deciding only to revel in its presence until it tires of me and moves on.


Life is so inspiring, and I don’t say that facetiously, and I don’t dismiss the fact that life has it’s trials, we all know this. But there is something about life that motivates us to get up every single day. It may be our children, our partner, our job, the incredible crimson sunsets that one looks forward to at the end of the day. And if you look you will find inspiration everywhere, even on the days when you think you will not.

I think the lesson I have learned in waiting is this, rather than waiting for good moments to come our way, let good moments come to you. Let them land on you like a ladybug. Feel its tickle as it delicately crawls along your arm and embrace the feeling of joy at it having chosen you to land on to rest or be curious. Then, wish it well as it flies away. Leaving yourself open to wonderful moments seems to attract them (ladybugs and wonderful moments). Try it, you’ll see.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Sandy,
Thanks for popping by. I had a snoop around here and discovered that I like your writting too. You sound so energized and appreciative of LIFE. I take it that Gary was your signifigant other? He is very much here in your writing. Your love for him is evident.
We are coming through Calgary soon, I love it there.Nice to meet you, I ll be back! Susan

Roxanne said...

Hello friend. . .silence is just what I needed on Monday to get out of my mood--inner and outer silence. It worked like a charm.

Love you. . .hope you are enjoying the Canadian Summer.

R--