Thursday, April 21, 2005

What are you willing to risk?

What are you willing to Risk?

I have a Corvette, 1988. It only comes out in the summer and it only gets driven on the weekends. It was my husbands. When he turned 50 he decided to have a mid-life love affair with her. I think I only drove it two or three times when he was alive and then it was just to town and back. When he died, I decided to keep it. I got in it one afternoon and just started to drive. It goes real fast let me tell you... it's a lot of fun... now I know why he never let me drive it, I'm sure if I really figured out just how much fun it was to drive I would have been constantly asking him to take it out! The fastest I have had it up to was about 196 km\hour… I was risking a speeding ticket, losing control, even an accident, but there was this moment when my foot hit the pedal and I didn’t look back.

1988 Corvette

I was in Costa Rica, and I decided to be real brave and got on an ultra light air vehicle and flew over a remarkable beach, a rainforest and the ocean to which I viewed a whale and her infant and huge sea turtles.

100_0084

I also did a canopy tour when I was there, climbing to the tree tops of the rain forest, I was harnessed up and hooked onto a cable where I flew from tree top to tree top. An exhilarating experience to say the least for once harnessed in and pushed off… there was no looking back.

When I was 25 I fell drop dead in love with this remarkable man



I fell head over heels for him and never looked back, it was some of the best years of my life.

I use to play it safe all the time, the right clothes, the right house, the right job, the perfect mother, the best wife, the proper etiquette, just the perfect friends, the acceptable choice… I was a regular June Clever! But, there was this Bohemian spirit inside that was just crying to be set free.

When my husband died, I realized that all that I had learned and believed in I was now questioning. I realized that I had a second chance to be all that I desired to be. Thing was, I had that opportunity pretty much all my life but I was too afraid to risk taking the chance. I might fail, I might not be liked, I might look silly, weird, out of place. What I did may be unacceptable, disliked or ridiculed.

After his death I asked myself, what if it had been me that died in that car accident? What experience would I have missed out on?

My belief is you must risk to be true to yourself. You must stand on the edge, have faith in yourself and your truth about yourself and just jump. Yes, be considerate of others and especially of those you love, but do not stop yourself from living to your potential because you are afraid to risk, because in the end, you risk missing out on the remarkable being that you are and your potential to be all that you are meant to be… but more importantly than that, you miss out on life.

1 comment:

baum said...

I say it here again, I wish you always a good ride with your faboulus car :-)