Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Shift in Attitude?

I work at a large oil company. (No comments about oil prices please!) Most of the people I work with have been with the company for 20 years or more and are just counting the days until retirement.

Now I don’t know if it is just the fact that I am surrounded with those who are counting days until they retire or is there a shift in attitude about what is really important in life? I mean, maybe it’s age, my generation, the Baby Boomer group… have we come back to roost to the nest of make love not war, simplify and be happy? Cause I sure sense an underlying discord with all this working to acquire things, that in the end, turn out to be just dust collecting on status symbols.

I got on the elevator this morning all grumpy and in walks Cindy S. Cindy’s in her late 40’s she started raving on about how she had never been happier. Cindy has Crones disease and about every four years she finds herself in the hospital having to be operated on. “Recovering from it takes forever,” she said to me. “You know, I quit smoking a few years back and my energy level is way up… AND… this is the first time in four years I have not had to go into the hospital. Life is grand!!!” I blew her a kiss as she left the elevator and told her to enjoy her day. Certainly changed my attitude about the day!

Many North Americans live a very good life. Canada, where I live, is a beautiful country, bountiful and a high standard of lifestyle. I have often wondered what I did in my past life to have been dropped into this remarkable place to live the life that I do. How privileged am I? Very!

It never ceases to amaze me, whenever I am swimming a few laps in the pity pool that someone comes along in my life to let me know that maybe I don’t have it so bad after all.

It’s a sunny morning here in Calgary, cool but sunny. From my kitchen window I can see that the Poplar trees in the yard across the way are beginning to show their buds. Saw my first Robin last week and the seagulls are back… my best friend Lois (who is a birder), says that is a sure sign that springs here… not only that, I live an hours drive from here...

P6280417

Doesn't get any better than that!!

No comments: