Saturday, April 02, 2005

A Start A Begining...

This is the beginning of a journal, of my journey. Two years ago, my husband died in a car accident. My life and the life of my son were changed forever. I do not plan to make this a site of gloom and doom, rather I see the future as an open book of opportunities to experience life through a new perspective.

And so I will begin to journal some of my more interesting experiences here. Some will be of fears realized, fears challenged and fears overcome. All about adventure... and my goal is to journal daily, about something I found incredibly fascinating.

Like today, a simple photo but one that tells a story of an aunt and a nephew. I bought a camera today for my nephew, in hopes that it would open his eyes to the beauty of life and nature. Not that he is not a brilliant child to begin with. Like my son, he brings great joy to my life and allows me to humble myself to yet another perspective.

Reflections of an Aunt and Nephew:

Reflections Aunt and Nephew

They all tower over me, my son, my nephew… they are all getting older and I don’t want to miss out on the way they view the world for this is what keeps me young at heart.


Please have patience with me, this is my first attempt at blogging... Well lets give it a go then!


April 3rd, 2005

When you lose someone you love deeply, it is as if your whole world has come to ground zero. Nothing is left but rubble and ashes… your dreams, your future, your hopes… My husband was my life, we were together for 25 years and very much in love, right from the first time we noticed each other. When he died, it was as if someone had ripped my heart out and left my spirit out there to die.

...but it is amazing how, from the smoldering ashes, there is always some bud that pokes its head through the debris, and life begins again.

I think for me, what I find so fascinating is how the power of love moves you beyond all grief. It is a cliché but true, that when one door closes another opens and as long as you embrace the love you have within, there is always an underlying calm that gives you strength. For me, I began to see life in a totally different perspective. Things I thought were important, no longer had meaning and some things, the very simplest things, began to take on an incredible empowerment. But what I most realized, is love can never be lost, it always stays with you, from your first romantic kiss at the age of six to the embrace you felt from a good friend moments ago.

My kitchen window looks out to a cluster of pine trees and beyond that, is a small lake where, at this time of year, migratory birds find this a small place of refuge. This morning I looked out the large bow window and saw a flock of swan flying north. It amazes me, with their long necks, how graceful they are as they fly. Their song is haunting but their beauty is breath-taking and I am once again reminded of the nature of life and its purpose... To find love and beauty in all that surrounds us.

A simple thing, but most empowering.

2 comments:

Somebody's Mom said...

I am honored to be the first to post a heartfelt toast to new beginnings. Good for you!

Sandy's Space said...

Thanks, I am also honoured that you are my first post. A start of a new friendship perhaps?

Thanks again!

Sandy