Thursday, January 04, 2007

Greetings in 2007

My favourite place to be when I was in Africa... With the Children



It is a new year and with it comes new ideas and new perspectives.

I have not written much these days. I have a close friend with whom I share many of my thoughts with and lately those thoughts are being shared with him. I have become less extroverted, valuing the importance and comfort in quiet thought. The need to be accepted and my life validated is not as important to me any more.

I did not always see value in my existence here on this planet. I believed I was just wandering in aimlessness hoping that some things I did made a difference. I never thought that I had much to contribute. But two things have made a profound difference in changing my thoughts about this. One is my blogging.

I had seriously thought about ending my blog at the end of the year. But as year end approached I got many wonderful greetings from people and friends who had read my series of random thoughts and let me know that it made a difference to them, that they were glad that I had become a part of their lives or at best that they had got to know me through my blog. I cannot express to you how appreciative I was in those kind thoughts.

My second profound experience was of course Africa. In Africa, all that is needed is a smile and a sincere "JUMBO!" and you are embraced by the kindness of the people. One day in an orphanage allowed me to realize that a hug or kiss or dancing or playing with a love starved child makes all the difference. Many of these people have nothing to lose and all they have to give is their love and appreciation for kindness and love given.

I think we take many things for granted in our lives. We all like to think that we are independent and not needy of anybody’s presence in our lives but the truth is, we all want to be loved and needed. Our significant other, our friends, our family, our children if we have them, we need them all. We also need to know that they acknowledge that we have a special place in their hearts as well. We have often heard that just a simple smile to a person in passing could make a substantial difference in how that person may approach their day. Imagine treating every person in your life with a loving caring smile?

Our hearts are childlike and the love that flows from it, when absent of the fear of being hurt, is totally unconditional. I don’t think that I have ever seen the movie ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’ from start to finish but I do get the jest of the story. I think that we all have to sit back and appreciate our value in this world. Our hearts are true and unconditional and to open the heart's gate only opens the opportunity to see the world in a much brighter and gratifying way.

My life seems calmer these days. I have searched long and hard for this peace of mind, this calmness within, where I find no need to control my life or the lives of others, where I accept my experiences as they flow through me and have a deep faith that God knows my “bigger plan” and that plan can’t be anything but good for me, regardless of how difficult I deem the experience. Acceptance that I bring value to my world if my actions come from my heart and those actions are fearless has just added to the wisdoms I have gained throughout these past 53 years.

I thank you all for expressing your pleasure in reading what it is I have to say and I may not be as diligent in this New Year about posting often but I do promise what I post will be mindful and most certainly come from the heart.

There is still more to write about Africa. Now that the holiday season is over, I may have a bit more time to get it down on page.

May you all enjoy happiness and prosper in 2007 and know that my heart sends you love.



Me just walking in mindful thought.

A good place to be sometimes.

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

My precious friend. . .do not go away from the little blogosphere. . .stay with us and be our Sandy. We like you. Even if there are only a few of us. . .loved seeing you smiling with the kids. That's a great shot.

Anonymous said...

I know you said you do not need this whole acceptance and validation thing, but even though you don't need it, I continue to be inspired by you and learn so much about being true to myself as a woman and as a human. Your experiences and the way you can so beautifully and candidly write about them has been amazingly heartwarming and inspirational.
ANd then you go to Africa! Wow!
I hope you do continue to pop in to share more as you feel the pull.