
Pre-Note: As the days get further and further away from my trip my memory of what happened each day becomes a little foggier. But there seems to be more clarity in just what it was that I learned during my visit, least of which is how humbled I am by all that I saw and by those that I met. Kimchimchim certainly shook up my emotions on all levels. Joy, sadness, helplessness in fact, for the first time since I have been back I realize, as I write this, that there certainly was an overwhelming feeling of helplessness as I took all this in. I would image that is why Cindy and Rich, Ray and his family, Gloria and Jim, Eric and many more go back year after year. Because they know there is so much more one can do.
Ndanai (pronounced Da-ni), would be our next stop. Cindy had sent me a couple of photo’s before we left, so that I had an idea of what the situation was and still I had no true impression of what to expect.
The roads, as usual were bad and what would have taken maybe a half an hour on our roads would take us almost two hours of bumpy, dodging and weaving, along a long an winding road. Finally we had made it to our destination. There were three vans that drove up onto the school property. The schoolmaster was expecting us, but always with the “African Experience”, we were not anticipated until later that afternoon.
Ndanai (pronounced Da-ni), would be our next stop. Cindy had sent me a couple of photo’s before we left, so that I had an idea of what the situation was and still I had no true impression of what to expect.
The roads, as usual were bad and what would have taken maybe a half an hour on our roads would take us almost two hours of bumpy, dodging and weaving, along a long an winding road. Finally we had made it to our destination. There were three vans that drove up onto the school property. The schoolmaster was expecting us, but always with the “African Experience”, we were not anticipated until later that afternoon.

I seemed that we had already been noticed and once the vans stopped and we got out, we were instantly surrounded by hundreds of children. And I do mean hundreds of VERY curious children. You see, most of these children had not seen a white person before. Ndanai, was somewhat remote or at least a ways from the main highway and since most people do not have a car they, of course, tend to stick around their own village. The children knew of white people for we were told later that they studied about the “White Europeans”, but imagine for the first time seeing someone whose colour was not of yours. Well, before too long they were poking at our skin, touching us, grabbing at us, squealing at the feel of our skin, then running or at least trying to once they had felt us. They were very fascinated in the men as they had hair on their arms and they were pulling at the hair. After about a few minutes of this we began to get a little panicky and finally the schoolteachers and schoolmaster were able to settle the children down and directed them back into their classrooms.
The classrooms that we visited were usually of a dirt floor, hand made desks and a blackboard of some sort at the front of the room. Ndanai was no different. This particular school had almost 1000 children in it. Which I thought was a very big school and like every school around the world, there were far too many children per teacher. Most of these teachers had not been paid in 6 months or so, and all of them were there because this was their passion.

We were all asked to sign the guest book and after that we headed over to the orphanage part where the disabled children were. There were about 24 of these children and not unlike Kimchimchim, I could not keep from hugging them or touching them and often would just sit among them showing them my camera and how to use it. I loved being with the children, you could feel their need for affection and love and all of us had so much to give… as we (You and I) all do. That was one thing I learned in Africa, my capacity to love and give love endlessly, and to feel it come back so freely and unconditionally from these children. I hadn't giggled this much in a very long time. It was a most enlivening experience and feeling, simply beautiful.
All of these children needed to be attended to. One in particular was a young boy who had a very large growth between his eyes. This child had been taunted and bullied and when we were there, he hid from us for the most part. An assessment was made of the boy by one of the doctors in our group a few days later and the doctor said that an operation could be performed to take away the growth and the child could go on to live a normal life. After we got back I got the following email from Cindy.
“I think we really need to help Ndania. I heard yesterday that Festus parent's said "no" to his ex ray and surgery - because they think they have been cursed from God. How sad is that! Eric has asked Charles (the head driver) to go and talk to the Sister at Ndania and try to convince the parents. Sad that the poor boy could have a "normal" life...”
Cindy fell in love with a little girl whom I would later call “Miss J”. She was absolutely adorable. When we fist got there she did not smile but after awhile and a little coaxing from Cindy we managed to get a few smiles out of her.

Miss J and Miss J and Cindy

The big thing about the children here was that they needed much physiotherapy and as you can see from the photos that their equipment was less than adequate but did to the job nevertheless. You might also notice the stressful faces of those in our group. My dear roomie Bianca would often talk about how sad she felt watching these particular children at Ndanai.



For this orphanage we were able to supply them with some immediate needs like school supplies, we went to the market in Kericho to barter for food for the cook. (see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandygirl/sets/72157594391482719/ ) This was such a fun experience and once the people at the market knew what we were there for, they were more than willing to help us out. Gloria bought sheets for the children's beds and ABW also brought two large bags filled with hand made quilts from a woman who made and donated them to the project. This was amazing. Along with the toys and quilts the children were more than thrilled to say the least.
Children with quilts
ABW has decided to help this facility. I know for sure Cindy will be back to visit it and help out.
I will upload my photos of Ndanai to flickr this weekend. Until then I hope you enjoy the ones I have posted here. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
NEXT: Taking a walk through the village of Ndanai and a game of Canadian football.


1 comment:
What precious children. . .they must have a lot of determination to do all they do with so little of the correct and necessary things to help them.
Post a Comment