Sunday, November 26, 2006

Africa – A Journey Home ~ Kimchimchim



Pre Note: See my Kimchimchim set in Flicker for a more detailed look.



I think of all my 22 days and the experiences I had in Africa, I would have to say that Kimchimchim affected me the most.

This facility was run by a nun. It consists of disabled children and teens learning a trade. We were to assess the needs of the facilities, and the needs of the children. As soon as the children gathered and started to sing, my heart was stolen. We were given a tour of the facility and Cindy spoke in great length to the Sister. Then we went through the list of the children in need, one by one, recording their disabilities. I took photos of each of them and focused on their arms, or legs that were muted or crippled. I took pictures of children with water on their brain, children who had partial limbs or no limbs at all. They approached me with interpretation but I could not help but touch and hug and coax a smile from each and every one of them. They were brave and had more dignity them most people I have ever met. They also had a great joy and love that you could feel as you touched each and every one. And their need for affection was beyond any I had ever felt before in my life.

It felt as if my heart tore my chest open in the knowing that these children were in need of love and attention and flowed easily to these beautiful beings. And as I write this I am crying, for it was here that my belief, that there is not one moment in our lives that we are not needed or that our love is not needed, was truly realized. These children were joyful and danced and sang like birds in the early dawn of the day. Watching them, listening to them and interacting with them made any fear I had in my life seem so insignificant and senseless.

But a day of photographing and assessing their needs took a toll on us all. The sweet heart of my roommate Bianca crumbled at the needs of each child and she had to be excused and sat in the Van crying. And me, well, you think you can handle it but after awhile even I broke down and as I photographed a young 16 year old who had a disease called “Brittle Bones”, his twisted arms, his stunted growth, and bent rod (that kept his leg together) sticking out of his skin, well it took me to my knees and totally broke my heart.

But these children are brave and strong and live their life moment in appreciation of all they have. They have dreams and they challenge themselves and even show off as one little girl did when she dropped her crutches to show us that she could walk, run even. They are children, they are beautiful and they belong to us all.

After writing down all the needs and sorting through the assessments it was decided by Cindy that what we could do for them right away was buy them new mattresses, sheets and blankets. And so at the end of the afternoon we headed to Kericho to buy out all the mattresses, blankets and sheets the town stores had to offer. The local “Wal-Mart”-like store the “Stagmatt” was more then accommodating, the owner not only gave us a discount, he offered a truck to transport our gifts. So the following morning we headed down to the Stagmatt and filled our van and the truck provided for us was filled with mattresses and off we went. It was a remarkable site and drew people from their homes, children from their schools. At one point I got out of the van and walked a portion taking pictures along the way.

Cindy and Ray


When we reached the facilities the Sister, along with the staff were so surprised. But it was the reaction of the children that was most gratifying. They squealed with delight, and eagerly helped to change each and every mattress and its bedding. Older children helping younger children, those who were incapable of making their beds, were helped by those who could. The place was a buzz. It was so much fun!

Afterwards we sat and drank warm pop and listened to the thank-you’s of Sister and staff and watched as the children sang for us.

There is a very dedicated physiotherapist at the Hostel. She is very interested in helping these children. For some, that is all that they need, others perhaps an operation or a shunt placed in their head will help them, others there is nothing that can be done for they suffer from Cerebral Palsy, or other birth disorders or disease. Others who are victims of Thalidomide (a drug that was banned in the 50’s in North America), will get prosthetics or not. And you look at them all and know that there are hundreds more children just like them all over Kenya and you wonder if this little drop in an ocean of need even makes a difference. But you have to believe it does.

I would never trade my experience at Kimchimchim. It has made me a different woman. I have a photo hanging in my office of all the children there. It is a reminder whenever I am feeling down or whenever I start to complain about my life just how fortunate I am and in truth how I have no right to grumble about my life.


Tomorrow, onto Ndania (pronounced Den-eye), another incredible experience.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

I am going to have to really read this tomorrow. . .but that give me something to look forward too. I also looked at your photos of the animals--born free--and there they all are. . .secretary birds, zebras, wildebeasts, giraffes. . .amazing!!!!

Roxanne said...

So I'm waiting for some clothes to finish washing and decided to read your entry. . .bless their hearts. . .I know they were so excited over the new, clean mattresses that weren't crumbling. They look like foam rubber only--and it will make me even more grateful for my clean, comfortable bed. The children were beautiful--makes you want to hug them all.

Anonymous said...

I STILL haven't had a chance to sit and read your Africa posts and I can't wait. I did look at your flickr pictures though and enjoyed the "trip" you shared with us.

I'll be back :)