I called my friend Gloria today. She will be one of the twelve that will be taking the extra week to Africa. She was all upset, apparently another plane hit a building in New York City and since she does not like to fly, this has given her even more cause to be even more fearful. Now Gloria has, in this last year so far, flown at least a half a dozen times and you one might think that she would be a little relaxed at the thought of doing something she has done hundreds of times. I assured her that it didn’t look like another terrorist attack and that she should not worry for our flights would be fine.
The old “you could get hit by a bus” analogy is always a good one in times like this, although I can tell you as a fearful flyer myself, that line does not help to eliminate your thoughts of being up in a tin can with someone else driving at the wheel. I did however tell her that I myself did not like fly but over these past years have learned to take it in it’s stride and found that my last trip was surprisingly relaxing. In fact, I actually watched, in horror, a woman who was just bouncing off the walls before she was to board a plane and thought to myself that I most certainly was like that and was glad I could now take a Zen-like approach to it all. I think what did it to me was when Nick went to Australia by himself and I started to go into the “what ifs”. He turned to me and with the straightest of face said, “Mom, if it’s my time to go, it’s my time to go.” And although not a babe… out of the mouths of my babe came a very truthful statement.
So 14 sleeps.
Today my friend from the US sent me a tee shirt to wear and a water proof bag (in which I was unable to order here in Canada), that my notebook computer will fit in to keep it safe from water or dirt. Cool! I have been checking the weather and it is about 70F or 21C which is most certainly tolerable. I think I have everything packed that I will take. I will do a repack and pack to add the final touches.
Today I got the last Hepatitis B shot and my Typhoid pills from the International Travel Clinic and next week will see my doctor about malaria pills. Along with the polio I had when I was a child and a multitude of other vaccinations I should be safe to go.
We take so much for granted in our world don’t you think? Although there are those less fortunate than we are, North Americans live a fairy tale life in relation to most of the rest of the world. Some might say it is a matter of perspective, that those who do not have, do not miss what is not there, or that happiness is relative. Regardless, I think I can honestly say that I feel most fortunate to have been dropped by that infamous stork, down the chimney of my parents home.


No comments:
Post a Comment