Monday, August 29, 2005

Friends :)

This morning’s feelings... then commentary

“Sometimes, it feels like I am on this field of battle, stumbling over all the dead bodies (negative people, people who walk around like zombies getting through their day, people who just are not in touch, or care or know the difference between living and not…), trying to make my way out. Every now and again there is a random shot, sometimes it misses me, sometimes not, but still I look for a way to make it through the battleground. Freedom seems just a step a way yet it seems like I am taking forever to get there. Still, it is and has been a most remarkable learning experience.

There is this big fear about change all the time, yet, change is all the time… The secrete to change is to embrace it, ride with it, be a part of it, that in itself is what makes life exciting and brilliant and a joyful experience.” ~ Sandy~

Friends. Where would I be without them? I have the most remarkable friends on the face of the earth. Some are casual, some are lifetime friends. Friends who knew me when, friends who are about to know me.

I spent the day with two friends yesterday. Tom and Susanne have known me for many years now. We drift in and out of each other’s lives and each time we connect there seems to be this significant learning experience for me. My dear friends lost their daughter a little over a month ago. Their pain is raw and deep, but they are both very strong individuals and together they are a great source of strength for each other and those around them. We talked about all the wonderful memories we had with both their daughter and Gary. Some tears, some laughter, lots of hugs. That’s what friends are for.

Friends come and go from our lives. They contribute to your growth, give you a different perspective of this world and help you to view your place among the daily goings on.

My girlfriends inspire me, support me and bring a commonality to what sometimes seems a very alone place. One lunch, or telephone conversation or sit-down with my girlfriends and I am validated and assured that my experience, although unique in it’s own way is not one that has to be encounter alone. By sharing our words, thoughts and wisdoms we find solidarity in womanhood and that is very empowering. All my girlfriends support me and are there for me as I hope I am with them.

I have wonderful work friends who help me out every day. They make my day shorter, my job easier and much more interesting. They are like family for I see them 8 hours a day five days a week and how lucky I have been to have the opportunity to share my life with them?

My neighbours are my friends. They are always there for me. They help me change the oil in my lawnmower, fix my fence, replace the sum pump. They listen to my sorrows, share my laughter and even have dried my tears. My neighbours have been a support group and watch out for me all the time.

I have two special friends that are in their late teens early twenties. Young girls with the wisdom that surpassed me at that age. They bring me a different perspective to life and they remind me that it is important to always spare apart of your heart to youthful adventures. They encourage me to stay active and they see me as a mentor which not only makes me feel privileged to have them as my friends, but mindful of who I am when I share myself with others.

Sometimes we lose friends because we grow; sometimes our friends grow with us. Regardless, each person who steps into your life always has something to contribute and it is our duty to make sure that not only do we learn from the incredible experiences they bring into our life but to reciprocate to their love and kindness with much of the same.

I have the opportunity to meet new friends. I have been invited to join a sisterhood… Some more Divas, some new friends. What lessons will they teach me? What wisdoms will they give to take me yet another step further into this remarkable journey of my life?

But today I toast all my remarkable, incredible friends. I love you and am so very fortunate to know you all. Thank you for bringing your love and experiences into my life.

“But you got to have friends.
The feeling's oh so strong.
You got to have friends
to make that day last long.”

No comments: