When I was in Italy, I spent a lot of time being quiet. Quiet on all levels. I remember once going into the church in Radda and feeling my heart race, and my whole body pumping from something that had my adrenalin going. I sat at the back of the church and closed my eyes, breathing fast and furious. I kept telling myself to calm down. I had remembered once a dear and close friend telling me that they could slow their heart rate down and I thought, if my friend could do it, so could I and I began to concentrate on slowing my heart rate. I started to feel my body slow down, relax a bit, then I focused on my heartbeat that I could hear so clearly. “Slower, slower,” I kept saying to myself. Eventually I was able to reach a very calm place within and sat being quite for quite a bit longer after that.
A bit of advice the same dear friend expounded was that I needed to realize my passions and build a life around that which makes me feel passionate and alive. The more I thought about it the more I thought him to be right.
Filling ones life with drama means you don’t have to be responsible for taking charge of your life and if you don’t take charge of your life and claim it, then you don’t have to be responsible if you fuck up or make a mistake. But in the end, it is not about fucking up or making mistakes, it is about giving life your best effort and pursuing that effort with passion.
Lately I have been spending time with a very special girlfriend. She is struggling with realizing her importance in this world and how to define her life by her standards not by everyone else’s expectations. My friend puts perspective to my life. She is a reflection of what I was and when I listen to her it is like listening to myself and who that person was these past 15-20 years. Being with her, talking to her, clears my mind as to the knowing of my truth (if that makes any sense). When I left her home this afternoon I thought to myself that all that drama was behind me now and although I wouldn’t trade the “suburban lifestyle” experience for anything, that is not the me now.
I still live in suburbia but more and more I pine to escape from the pressures of living a lifestyle that bases itself more on "material" than joy and love. As it stands right now, I’m not sure where my passions truly lie or have not given myself the opportunity to find out. I was always too busy caught up in the drama of trying to be something I wasn’t, for everybody else. That fact became very clear as I got in my car and pulled out of my friend’s driveway this afternoon. Perhaps also, I am a bit fearful to allow myself the bliss in realizing all my possibilities in life.
The great thing about getting older is that along the way you gain so many wisdoms (well most of us do anyway). I can honestly say I am happy to see the past behind me and pleased that I have learned from my experiences albeit some of those experiences have not been so pleasurable and I had to repeat them more than once to get the message!
I like writing. I think it one of my passions. God forbid that I let myself become good at it! Problem is, I think a passion should be effortless... but in all reality, nothing worth anything comes without effort.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Hello Sandy. Welcome Home! I love reading what you write. I hope to read about your trip to Italy ... and your experiences there too. You just have such a way of expressing yourself - that is so compelling ... and, as I've never been to Italy (yet!), I feel sure that you will bring it to life through your words!
In case you don't remember me - I am 'the heart bracelet' person. : ) I also recently sent you an Email - about an exciting venture that I am embarking on - and I wanted you to know about it. Though I know you've just come back from a quite long trip ... I wanted to invite you to join us in February, in Playa del Carmen. If you are interested, please write to me at clickgirl50@hotmail.com - and I'll give you a link to the website that I developed ... which has all of the details about the trip.
Take care. Hope to hear from you!
Warm regards,
Brenda
Dear Brenda,
Thank you so very much for your kind words. Italy was a wonderful experience for me. It allowed me to find peace within and I certainly came back a different person because of it. It is a beautiful country and Tuscany is a magical area to be sure.
I saw your trip to Mexico. I have been down that way and it is such a great vacation spot. I will have to consider your invitation though as I am planning a 16 day trip to Africa (Kenya) in November of 2006. The trip has an ulterior motive and that is to bring school supplies to children in some villages we will visit. It was a trip I was suppose to take in 2005 but it was postponed to 06. It still leaves me with some vacation time and if the funds are available I will most certainly consider the trip to Mexico.
I have been very busy since I have returned from Italy and hence have not had an opportunity to write in my blog. I am hoping that once Christmas has past I will be more frequent in my journal.
I want to also thank you once again for the time and effort you put into those heart bracelets. That takes a lot of organization and you are ace at that!
Please lets keep in touch as I love to read your blog and hear what is going on with you and all the many projects you have going on.
Take care and Merry Christmas!
Love
Sandy
Post a Comment